Thursday, April 4, 2013

Not Strong Enough

Roughly a year ago this month, my enlistment in the United States Air Force was denied.  After six months of the most grueling personal training ever, including hours of heavy exercise and 10 mile hikes every day with 60 pounds of gear on my back, being out in all kinds of weather and working myself to exhaustion, in an attempt to build up my physical strength and stamina.  And all I wanted to do was be a ground crewmember and load stuff onto cargo aircraft. I would have swept the hangar floors, anything they would have let me do. 

I was kind of depressed about it for a while and made this pencil drawing a few weeks later.

The men surrounding me at the bottom of this drawing are, from left to right, my great uncle Vern and Grandpa Mel, who were both in the Army, and my grandpa who was on a  Navy submarine during World War II, and great-grandfather who was also in the Navy during the Spanish American War.  The man all the way to the right is a great-great uncle who was in World War I.



No comments:

Post a Comment